Opening Your Seasonal Home With No Surprises
Posted on May 04, 2016
As the weather heats up we turn to our outdoor living spaces to relax and be closer to nature. Whether your second home is a lakeside cottage or a deep words cabin these tips will help you make the most of your seasonal residence.
- Make sure that all land and water equipment is insured such as boats, water toys, outbuildings, boathouses and guest houses.
- Review water safety tips with your family and ensure there are adequate life jackets and PFD's.
- Be aware of changes in water levels to prevent accidental collision with unseen hazards.
- Replace batteries and test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- For added security, use automatic timers or smart home technology for indoor and outdoor lights.
- Ensure road safety when using a trailer hitch by inspecting the lights, tires, brakes, bearings and safety chains before you set off.
- Book annual chimney/woodstove inspections and cleaning.
- Install chimney caps with wire mesh screens for all wood burning fireplaces.
*Courtesy of The Guarantee Company of North America